Downfield House

Downfield House was built as a factor’s house for the Home-Rigg family of Tarvit House, Cupar in 1857 to serve their estate in Cupar  and their farm of 373 acres at Downfield.  The house was enlarged to provide staff accommodation and the dairy converted to a sitting room, now the small dining room.

The house lies 60 metres or so west of  the site of a Fifteenth century manor  house and   fortalice  (small fort) of which only the ground floor has survived and is called The Vault.

Downfield  House 2012 September

The house is made of basalt or whinstone from a local quarry or robbed out from the manor house and fort, with sandstone quoins and a slate roof. Most of the public rooms and bedrooms face south-east and west and are light and sunny. Many of the fittings and fixtures date from the ownership of William Munro and are typical Art-Deco with ‘setting sun’ windows.Downfield House lies at an altitude of 670 feet [204 metres] above sea-level. It sits in three acres [ 1.2 ha] of woodland and garden ground from where there are  remarkable distant views from the rondel in the north-west corner of the garden, south to the Pentland Hills and the Firth of Forth and Edinburgh, south-west to the Campsie Fells north of Glasgow, west to the Lomond Hills, Downfield 2007 May 15 DSCN1261north-west to Ben Lawers and Schiehallion and the Sidlaw Hills beyond the Howe of Fife and the Ochil Hills and north to the  Cairngorms


Downfield House & Garden.
Address: Downfield House,Down Law, Ladybank,Cupar,Fife,UK/ Phone:01337831879/Email: downfieldhouse@gmail.com
%d bloggers like this: